Allstate Car Insurance Review for 2020
Allstate Auto Insurance
Allstate car insurance isn't typically going to be the cheapest option in most states; however, they offer a suite of discounts that can save you money and allow you to bundle in other types of policies.
- Top Rated App
- Great for young drivers
- Brick and Mortar Options
- Large size and Financially Strong
- Average Customer Satisfaction
- Need discounts to lower the cost
Finding the right car insurance company can be a time-consuming task, especially if you set the bar high and want it to perform well in all the areas that are important to you.
Knowing exactly what you’re getting into before you invest money in an auto insurance policy is the ultimate way to make sure you become a customer of a company that fulfills its promises and helps you avoid disappointment down the line.
Allstate car insurance policies accounted for 9.3% of the market share with more than $23.6 Billion in direct polices written last year.
This lands them solidly in 4th place overall behind State Farm, GEICO and Progressive in terms of size, but how does it compare in more practical terms like price, customer satisfaction and claims paid?
While many of the insurers claim to be nothing short of fantastic, in reality (which can be measured by looking at customer reviews and ratings), some do it better than others.
I’ll highlight Allstate’s most attractive features – as well as where it falls short.
Allstate Car Insurance Overview
The Allstate Corporation is an insurance giant established in 1931. Though it is probably most well-known for its auto insurance policies, Allstate offers several other financial products, such as retirement and investment plans – as well as a wide range of insurance products such as home insurance, life insurance, renters insurance, small business insurance and more.
When it comes to car insurance, Allstate ticks quite a few boxes – and has deservedly earned a place in my best car insurance companies for 2020 list.
Allstate provides the perfect combination of streamlined digital experience and personalized customer service.
The company has a top-rated mobile app, which makes it easy to perform various everyday tasks like managing your insurance policies, paying bills, checking on the status of the claim, getting roadside help, and more.
In addition, Allstate has a wide range of physical locations nationwide, meaning that speaking with an agent and receiving in-person customer advice is an option.
That’s a bonus for anyone who wants to know they can speak to an advisor any time they want – particularly someone who is investigating car insurance options for the first time.
Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
Allstate offers a variety of auto insurance coverages, such as:
|Collision coverage||Covers costs of damage or destruction resulting from an accident or other collision.|
|Comprehensive coverage||Covers expenses related to vehicle damage caused by things like theft, vandalism, fallen trees, hail, and more.|
|Liability coverage||Covers expenses related to property damage, injury, or death of others when you’re at fault. *required in almost all states.|
|Medical payments coverage||Covers medical expenses if you or your passengers are hurt in a car accident – no matter who’s at fault.|
|Uninsured / Underinsured motorist coverage||Covers the difference between your bills and the other driver’s coverage if they are at fault and don’t have enough coverage or are uninsured.|
|Roadside coverage||Covers the costs of roadside assistance (e.g., towing, tire changes, lockouts, jump-starts, and fuel delivery).|
|Sound system insurance||Covers the cost to replace stolen or damaged sound system equipment.|
|Personal injury protection||Covers the cost of medical and hospital bills – plus any other bills not covered by your health insurance (like income continuation, child-care expenses, and funeral expenses).|
|Personal umbrella policy||Provides a little extra protection for things like a liability claim that is over the liability limit.|
|Rental reimbursement coverage||Covers rental car fees while your car is in the shop after an accident.|
In addition to these, Allstate also offers specialty policies, such as classic car insurance for extraordinary, vintage cars, as well as car insurance for travel to Mexico.
What Discounts Does Allstate Offer?
Though Allstate car insurance isn’t typically the cheapest, the company does offer some fantastic discounts that can help reduce the cost of your policy.
I’ve listed some of them below:
- Multiple policy discounts. Combine multiple policies – like auto and home – and you could save up to 10% on auto and 25% on your home premiums. You could also combine auto and life policies – but you’ll need to contact an agent to see how much you could save.
- New car discount. Are you the first owner of your car? You could save money on your premium.
- Anti-theft technology. You could save 10% if your car has an anti-theft system.
- Anti-lock brakes. You could also get a 10% discount if your car has anti-lock brakes.
- Early signing discount. Sign your policy 7 or more days before it becomes effective – and qualify for a discount.
- Smart student discount. One of Allstate’s best car insurance discounts for young drivers is the smart student discount. If you’re under 25 and get good grades (average B or above) – you could save.
- teenSMART driver education program. Save by completing the teenSMART driver education program.
- FullPay discount. Pay your policy in full, and the policy will cost you less than if you were paying monthly premiums.
- Safe driving club. You could save a lot if you meet the safe driving requirements to join the Safe driving club.
- EZ pay plan discount. Finally, set up an automatic withdrawal for paying your premium, and you’ll also save.
Pros & Cons of Allstate?
Below I’ve listed what I like the most about Allstate – and the areas it could improve:
- Top-rated app. Easily manage your policy on the go with a highly-rated Allstate app.
- #1 in Florida. According to J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Satisfaction Survey, Allstate is #1 for customer satisfaction in Florida.
- Personalized customer experience. There are local agents that can help you should you need to speak to someone.
- Discounts for young adults. Allstate is a good insurer to consider if you’re a young adult because of the range of discounts it offers to young drivers.
- Other discounts. Allstate offers discounts not only to young adults but to all You can save money on your insurance if you sign up for Drivewise, are a good driver, or combine policies.
- Financially strong. Allstate has an A+ (superior) rating from A.M. Best.
- Average ratings for customer satisfaction across other states. Apart from Florida (and Central Region, where Allstate got a rating of 4 out of 5), the company gets average customer satisfaction ratings.
- Allstate doesn’t offer the best rates for car insurance. Many other providers offer cheaper rates.
Allstate Auto Insurance Ratings
Before you become a customer of Allstate, you’ll want to be reassured that they are actually a good insurance company to use. In a nutshell, Allstate does some things very well – but can come a little short in some areas.
Allstate Insurance is a financially strong and stable company. It has superior financial strength (A+), according to A.M. Best ratings.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Allstate car insurance received an ever-so-slightly higher than average number of complaints – which is good for anyone who is considering becoming a customer.
Looking at the 2019 J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Survey, Allstate received the highest customer satisfaction rating in Florida, where it scored 5 out of 5! In other regions, however, Allstate’s ratings were only about average (mostly 2-3 out of 5).
As mentioned above, Allstate offers a range of car insurance options, which is fantastic if you want to have more choices when it comes to getting auto coverage. The minimum coverage options are often not enough protection, so opting for the extras could be just the right thing to do if you want to make sure you’re fully protected.
One area where Allstate falls short is its rates. It doesn’t have the lowest rates when it comes to car insurance.
Is Allstate Insurance Expensive?
Those looking for the most affordable car insurance option won’t typically find that with Allstate unless they qualify for some of their multitude of discounts.
According to an auto insurance cost study conducted by Nerdwallet in 2020, Allstate is was last on the list between the “Big 4” for car insurance costs for full coverage. For their study, they used national average rates for a full coverage policy for a 40-year-old driver with good credit and a clean driving history.
|Company||Avg. Premium (yr)||Next Steps|
|GEICO||$1,198||Get A Quote|
|State Farm||$1,511||Get A Quote|
|Progressive||$1,766||Get A Quote|
|Allstate||$1,834||Get A Quote|
Is Allstate a Good Auto Insurance Company?
Allstate is an excellent insurer to go for if you’re after an accessible option with a wide reach and a big range of products and services.
It’s also ideal for customers who are tech-savvy and want a top-rated app that makes it easy to manage their policies on the go – that includes checking the status of your Allstate claims, paying your bills, and more.
Because it offers such a wide variety of products, Allstate could become that one-stop-shop for all your financial and insurance needs.
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Allstate shines for the best car insurance in Florida and receives above average ratings across other regions (according to J.D. Power). Additionally, if you’re looking for the most affordable car insurance deals, Allstate’s rates aren’t the cheapest.
That said, the company has a range of discounts – both for young drivers and other age groups. So even if it doesn’t offer the lowest rates, the number of ways in which you can reduce your insurance costs compensates for that.
Moreover, what’s really important is knowing that an insurer is financially strong and stable. With Allstate, you have nothing to worry about – because it has a superior rating from A.M. Best.