This article includes links which we may receive compensation for if you click, at no cost to you.
Finding the right car insurance company can be a time-consuming task, especially if you set the bar high and want it to perform well in all the areas that are important to you.
It’s also quite a tricky task because there are quite a few options out there. However, while many of the insurers claim to be nothing short of fantastic, in reality (which can be measured by looking at customer reviews and ratings), some do it better than others.
But knowing exactly what you’re getting into before you invest money in an auto insurance policy is the ultimate way to make sure you become a customer of a company that fulfills its promises and helps you avoid disappointment down the line.
In this post, I’m reviewing Allstate’s car insurance – so you can decide whether it ticks the boxes for you. I’ll highlight its most attractive features – as well as where it falls short.
So, read on for everything you need to know about Allstate and the auto insurance it offers.
Allstate Car Insurance Overview
The Allstate Corporation is an insurance giant established in 1931. Though it is probably most well-known for its auto insurance policies, Allstate offers several other financial products, such as retirement and investment plans – as well as a wide range of insurance products such as home, life, renters, business, identity, and others.
When it comes to car insurance, Allstate ticks quite a few boxes – and has deservedly earned a place in my best car insurance companies for 2020 list.
Allstate provides the perfect combination of streamlined digital experience and personalized customer service. The company has a top-rated mobile app, which makes it easy to perform various everyday tasks like managing your insurance policies, paying bills, checking on the status of the claim, getting roadside help, and more.
But the app doesn’t mean that Allstate leaves you to manage your insurance alone. That, quite frankly, can be quite overwhelming – and many of the companies that have high-rated apps tend to take a step back in a hands-off approach.
Allstate Insurance isn’t one of such companies. In addition to the top-rated app, Allstate has a wide range of physical locations nationwide, meaning that speaking with an agent and receiving in-person customer advice is an option.
That’s a bonus for anyone who wants to know they can speak to an advisor any time they want – particularly someone who is investigating car insurance options for the first time.
Allstate Car Insurance Allstate offers a Smart Student Discount to drivers under the age of 25 if you meet their requirements. You can also get a multiple policy discount if you bundle in your renters insurance with Allstate.
Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
Allstate offers a variety of car insurance coverages, such as:
- Collision coverage. This type of insurance will cover any costs of damage or destruction resulting from an accident or other collision.
- Comprehensive coverage. Cover for expenses related to vehicle damage caused by things like theft, vandalism, fallen trees, hail, and more.
- Liability coverage. Liability coverage is required in almost all states. This type of coverage is for expenses related to property damage, injury, or death of others when you’re at fault.
- Medical payments coverage. Medical coverage will cover medical expenses if you or your passengers are hurt in a car accident – no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If you happen to be in an accident where the other person involved doesn’t have enough coverage, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage will help cover the difference between your bills and the other driver’s coverage.
- Roadside coverage. If you’re having car trouble, roadside coverage will cover the costs of roadside assistance (e.g., towing, tire changes, lockouts, jump-starts, and fuel delivery).
- Sound system insurance. If your sound system equipment is stolen or damaged, sound system insurance will help cover the cost of replacing it.
- Personal injury protection. If you’ve been involved in an accident, this policy will help pay for medical and hospital bills – plus any other bills not covered by your health insurance (like income continuation, child-care expenses, and funeral expenses).
- Personal umbrella policy. This policy provides a little extra protection. For example, if you’re facing a liability claim that is over the liability limit, personal umbrella coverage could provide financial help.
- Rental reimbursement coverage. If you’ve been in an accident and can’t use your car as a result, rental reimbursement coverage can pay for your rental car fees.
In addition to these, Allstate also offers specialty policies, such as classic car insurance for extraordinary, vintage cars, as well as car insurance for travel to Mexico.
Allstate Auto Insurance Rating
Before you become a customer of Allstate, you’ll want to be reassured that they are actually a good insurance company to use. In a nutshell, Allstate does some things very well – but can come a little short in some areas.
Allstate Insurance is a financially strong and stable company. It has superior financial strength (A+), according to A.M. Best ratings.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Allstate receives a lower than a median number of complaints – which is great news for anyone who is considering becoming a customer of the insurer.
Looking at the J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Survey of 2019, Allstate receives the highest customer satisfaction rating in Florida, where it scores 5 out of 5! In other regions, however, Allstate’s ratings are only about average (mostly 2-3 out of 5).
As above, Allstate offers a range of car insurance options, which is fantastic if you want to have more choices when it comes to getting auto coverage. The minimum coverage options are often not enough protection, so opting for the extras could be just the right thing to do if you want to make sure you’re fully protected.
However, where Allstate falls short is its rates. It doesn’t have the lowest rates when it comes to car insurance.
Is Allstate Insurance Expensive?
Those looking for the most affordable car insurance option won’t really find that with Allstate.
According to an auto insurance cost study conducted for ValuePenguin, Allstate is #11 on the list of insurance costs for full coverage. This means there are more affordable options out there.
Full coverage auto insurance costs $3,545 with Allstate, according to the study – and that’s more than what you’d pay with many other popular insurance providers (like Erie, State Farm, GEICO, Progressive, Nationwide, and a few others).
What Discounts Does Allstate Offer?
Though Allstate car insurance isn’t the cheapest, the company does offer some fantastic discounts that can help reduce the cost of your policy.
I’ve listed some of them below:
- Multiple policy discounts. Combine multiple policies – like auto and home – and you could save up to 10% on auto and 25% on your home premiums. You could also combine auto and life policies – but you’ll need to contact an agent to see how much you could save.
- New car discount. Are you the first owner of your car? You could save money on your premium.
- Anti-theft technology. You could save 10% if your car has an anti-theft system.
- Anti-lock brakes. You could also get a 10% discount if your car has anti-lock brakes.
- Early signing discount. Sign your policy 7 or more days before it becomes effective – and qualify for a discount.
- Smart student discount. One of the best Allstate car insurance discounts for young drivers is the smart student discount. If you’re under 25 and get good grades (average B or above) – you could save.
- teenSMART driver education program. Save by completing the teenSMART driver education program.
- FullPay discount. Pay your policy in full, and the policy will cost you less than if you were paying monthly premiums.
- Safe driving club. You could save a lot if you meet the safe driving requirements to join the Safe driving club.
- EZ pay plan discount. Finally, set up an automatic withdrawal for paying your premium, and you’ll also save.
Pros & Cons of Allstate?
Below I’ve listed what I like the most about Allstate – and the areas it could improve:
- Top-rated app. Easily manage your policy on the go with a highly-rated Allstate app.
- #1 in Florida. According to J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Satisfaction Survey, Allstate is #1 for customer satisfaction in Florida.
- Personalized customer experience. There are local agents that can help you should you need to speak to someone.
- Discounts for young adults. Allstate is a good insurer to consider if you’re a young adult because of the range of discounts it offers to young drivers.
- Other discounts. Allstate offers discounts not only to young adults but to all You can save money on your insurance if you sign up for Drivewise, are a good driver, or combine policies.
- Financially strong. Allstate has an A+ (superior) rating from A.M. Best.
- Average ratings for customer satisfaction across other states. Apart from Florida (and Central Region, where Allstate got a rating of 4 out of 5), the company gets average customer satisfaction ratings.
- Allstate doesn’t offer the best rates for car insurance. Many other providers offer cheaper rates, according to a study by ValuePenguin.
Is Allstate a Good Auto Insurance Company?
Allstate is an excellent insurer to go for if you’re after an accessible option with a wide reach and a big range of products and services.
It’s also ideal for customers who are tech-savvy and want a top-rated app that makes it easy to manage their policies on the go – that includes checking the status of your Allstate claims, paying your bills, and more.
Because it offers such a wide variety of products, Allstate could become that one-stop-shop for all your financial and insurance needs.
When it comes to customer satisfaction, Allstate shines for the best car insurance in Florida and receives above average ratings across other regions (according to J.D. Power). Additionally, if you’re looking for the most affordable car insurance deals, Allstate’s rates aren’t the cheapest.
That said, the company has a range of discounts – both for young drivers and other age groups. So even if it doesn’t offer the lowest rates, the number of ways in which you can reduce your insurance costs compensates for that.
Moreover, what’s really important is knowing that an insurer is financially strong and stable. With Allstate, you have nothing to worry about – because it has a superior rating from A.M. Best.