This article includes links which we may receive compensation for if you click, at no cost to you.
- Auto Insurance Add-On Options
- Discounts Available
- Great Mobile App
- Not As Cheap As Others
- Average Customer Reviews
Liberty Mutual is an insurance company that offers a wide variety of insurance products.
If you’re keen on learning more about this leading insurance provider, you’ve come to the right place.
I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about Liberty Mutual in this post so you can determine whether the company’s products work for you.
Specifically, I’m going to focus on the company’s auto and home insurance services.
In This Article:
What is Liberty Mutual?
Liberty Mutual is an American insurance company that offers insurance for your car, home, condo, boat, motorcycle, motorhome, or off-road vehicle.
The business was founded in 1912 and used to be known as the Massachusetts Employees Insurance Association.
Today, Liberty Mutual is headquartered in Boston and is the third-largest property and casualty insurance company in the U.S.
Here are some interesting statistics that show you the significance of this veteran insurance provider:
- Liberty Mutual employs over 50,000 people
- The company is ranked 75th on the Fortune 500
- If you want to visit an in-person branch, you have over 900 offices to choose from worldwide
- In 2008, Liberty Mutual acquired Safeco, which helped boost its revenue to over $30 billion over the next 12 years
Now, let’s take a look at how Liberty Mutual’s auto and home insurance services work.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance
Liberty Mutual offers car insurance policies for almost any type of driving situation. Here’s a rundown of their main features:
Standard Liability Coverage
With standard coverage, you’ll be protected by Bodily Injury Liability. You’ll also be covered for any Property Damage that you cause.
What’s more, Medical Payments Coverage comes standard, which covers your medical expenses, legal fees, pain and suffering, bereavement costs, and any lost income that you might experience as a result of an accident.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Add-On Options
- Collision Coverage: If your car is valuable, or if you lease or finance your ride, you’ll probably need to get Collision coverage, which pays for your car’s repair or replacement in the event of an accident that you cause.
- Comprehensive Coverage: If your car is damaged by a non-collision event, like a flood, fire, vandalism, or a tree falling on it, you’ll be protected by Comprehensive coverage.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: As the name suggests, uninsured motorist coverage pays for your car repairs and expenses if another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have insurance.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is an optional coverage that might pay for ongoing expenses that result from an accident, such as hospital care, rehabilitation costs, and medical devices required to treat your condition.
- Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund: If you’re worried about having to pay an expensive collision deductible, you might want to check out the Liberty Mutual Deductible Fund. This service lowers your deductible amount by $100 each year for just a $30 annual cost to you.
- Accident Forgiveness: Liberty Mutual promises that it won’t raise your rates after your first accident, thanks to its Accident Forgiveness program.
- Lifetime Repair Guarantee: If you sign up for Lifetime Repair Guarantee and get your car repaired at an approved repair shop, Liberty Mutual will guarantee that your car repair will last as long as you own the car.
- Better Car Replacement: Better Car Replacement hooks you up with a newer and less-driven replacement for your destroyed car. Let’s hope you never need to use this service!
- Towing and Labor: Liberty Mutual offers roadside assistance when you need it.
- Original Parts Replacement: This allows you to replace damaged parts on your car with the parts that meet the highest quality standards.
- Rental Car Reimbursement: The cost of your rental car will be covered until yours is finished being repaired.
- Teachers Car Insurance: This add on option provides coverage for your car while on school grounds.
- Auto Loan/Lease Gap: If you total your car, the value is lower than the amount left on your auto loan, this gap coverage will cover the remaining amount that you owe.
- Mexico Car Insurance: This add on provides coverage for all types of cars traveling to Mexico.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance
As the third-largest property insurer in the U.S., it might not come as a surprise that Liberty Mutual is experienced when it comes to offering home insurance.
Here are some of the main homeowners’ insurance features that I’m seeing:
Standard Homeowners Coverage
If you sign up for a basic homeowners insurance policy, the repair or replacement of your home and personal possessions will be covered.
You’ll also get liability protection that covers you if someone gets injured on your property and decides to sue you.
Further, you can also get additional living expenses if you’re unable to reside in your home due to a covered repair.
Homeowners that are looking for extra peace of mind might want to sign up for personal item insurance (e.g., jewelry, artwork, or musical equipment), inflation protection, and coverage in case of a water backup or sump pump overflow.
To sign up for auto insurance, the first step is entering your zip code on their site.
Next, you’ll be asked to enter your personal contact information, including name, birthday, address, phone number, and email address.
Then you’ll be asked to enter the details about your car(s).
Once that’s done, you’ll be asked whether your car has any anti-theft devices:
On the final steps, you’ll enter additional details about yourself, including your education level, marital status, and how long you’ve owned the vehicle that you want to insure. All told, it took me about five minutes to get a quote. Easy enough.
To sign up for homeowners insurance, you first need to enter your zip code.
You’ll then be asked a series of questions, similar to the auto insurance sign-up process, that helps the company identify who you are and what kind of home you’re trying to insure. It only took me about seven minutes to get a homeowners quote online.
If you prefer to speak with a live agent when signing up for either auto or homeowners insurance, you can give them a call at 1-866-703-6352.
Liberty Mutual Discounts
Liberty Mutual offers tons of ways to get discounts on your insurance policies.
The first one that you’ll probably want to look into is saving 12% by getting an online quote.
The company also claims you can save over $700 each year by bundling your auto and home insurance policies with them.
Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Discounts
- Advanced Safety Equipment Discount. You may be eligible for a discount if your car is fitted with the latest safety gear, like side-impact airbags or accidental lane change prevention.
- Alternative Energy Discount. If you drive a hybrid or electric car, you’ll be eligible for a discount.
- Anti-Theft Device Discount. If your car has an anti-theft device like a car alarm or vehicle location system, you might qualify for this discount.
- Accident-Free Discount. Drivers who stay accident-free will enjoy lower policy premiums.
- Violation-Free Discount. If you avoid getting speeding tickets or other moving violations, you’ll likely qualify for this discount.
- Liberty Mutual Right Track Discount. RightTrack is a device you can order from Liberty Mutual that monitors your driving behavior. Once you install the sensor, you’ll have to link it with your Liberty Mutual app when driving. The RightTrack mobile app has a 3.9-star rating (out of 5) in the App Store and a 3.8-star rating (out of 5) in the Google Play Store.
- Multi-Car Discount. If you have more than one car on your policy, you’ll most likely pay less per car than you would if you just had one car on your policy.
- Pay In Full Discount. If you pay your entire annual premium amount in one or two payments, you’ll likely be able to save a few bucks.
- Online Purchase. Purchasing your auto policy online can lead to a lower policy cost of 12% or more. (That’s probably because you won’t be using a live agent’s time, which costs money.)
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance Discounts
- Protective Devices Discount. If your home is outfitted with protective devices like smoke alarms, deadbolt locks, burglar alarms, and fire extinguishers, you can get a lower policy rate.
- New Roof Discount. If your home has a new roof, your policy will cost less.
- Newly Purchased/Renovated Home Discount. If you’ve done some major renovations to your home or if your home is new, you might qualify for a discount
- Insured To Value Discount. If you decide to insure your home for the full cost of a replacement, you might save some money.
- Military Discounts are available to both active service members and veterans.
- Safe Homeowner Program. If you don’t make a claim on your home after three years of coverage, you’ll get a discount.
Liberty Mutual Car and Home Discounts
- Paperless Discount. You’ll get a discount for enrolling in paperless statements, which is also better for the environment!
- Preferred Payment Discount. Enrolling in automatic billing can save you money on your policy premium.
- Multi-Policy Discount. Liberty Mutual customers with more than once policy will get a discount. It’s that simple.
Liberty Mutual Security
I like what I see on Liberty Mutual’s security page when it comes to how they protect customers’ information.
The company uses state-of-the-art encryption technologies along with advanced firewalls and authentication protocols to ensure that malicious actors can’t access your account.
Liberty Mutual Customer Service
Liberty Mutual offers 24/7 customer support over the phone or online—even on holidays.
You can also access customer support in the Liberty Mutual App, which has a 4.8-star rating in the App Store, and a 4.7-star rating in the Google Play Store.
Pros and Cons of Liberty Mutual
- More auto insurance coverage options than any other company I’ve reviewed
- Tons of discounts available, especially if you have several policies
- Liberty Mutual’s insurance apps are some of the highest-rated insurance apps that I’ve seen
- I’ve read that customer satisfaction might not be the best
- Auto insurance is likely more expensive than with competitors like GEICO or Progressive
Alternatives to Liberty Mutual
The major competitors of Liberty Mutual are:
Liberty Mutual FAQs
Is Liberty Mutual a Good Insurance Company?
Yes. Liberty Mutual is the third-largest property insurer in the U.S., which means that they’re experienced with providing home insurance to almost any type of dwelling.
Is Liberty Mutual More Expensive?
Liberty Mutual is probably going to be more expensive than GEICO or Progressive when it comes to car insurance. Their homeowners insurance rates are most likely competitive with State Farm.
However, it really depends on the details of your home or car, and the only way to find out how much Liberty Mutual will cost is by signing up for a free quote.
Is Liberty Mutual Better Than GEICO?
This is a matter of personal preference. GEICO does appear to have better customer satisfaction ratings, and they insure more cars. On the other hand, Liberty Mutual is more experienced when it comes to homeowners insurance.
So, Is Liberty Mutual Right for Me?
If you’re looking to insure your home and auto with one of the leading insurers in the U.S., you’re probably going to have a good experience with Liberty Mutual.
The company offers an impressive list of insurance benefits along with many different discounts. Liberty Mutual is probably not the cheapest insurer out there, but the extra cost might not be an issue if you’re looking to work with a trusted and experienced company.
Whichever insurance company you chose, it’s all about getting the right types of insurance coverage based on your own personal situation and budget. Here’s to shopping around to find the right plan for you and your family.