Best Renters Insurance In California
It should come as no surprise that the Golden State is teeming with renters.
The state is filled with beautiful places to live, from the Pacific coast to the snowcapped mountains to vibrant cities and rural towns.
Whatever part of California you call home, protecting yourself and your prized possessions with renters insurance is a must.
With such a diverse landscape, the cost of your renters insurance policy and the kinds of coverage you need could look different.
In the post below, we’ll walk you through the ins and outs of California renters insurance, providing you with a breakdown of the best renters insurance companies in the state.
7 Best Renters Insurance Providers in California
Here are the 7 best providers of renters insurance in California:
- 🏆 Liberty Mutual: Best Overall California Renters Insurance
- Lemonade: Best for the Cheapest Renters Insurance in California
- State Farm: Best for Customer Experience
- Nationwide: Best for Multiple Policies
- Farmers: Best for Discounts
- Allstate: Best for Claims Process
- USAA: Best for Military Families
Liberty Mutual is one of the best renters insurance companies in the country, and one of the most well-known.
It ranks highest in California because it offers some of the lowest rates for coverage across the state.
It also provides you with the opportunity to get multiple policies, saving money by bundling coverage and managing all of your insurance in one place.
There are several discounts outside of bundling, too, such as enrolling in an auto-pay plan.
With Liberty Mutual, you can get earthquake coverage, which can be crucial in California, as well as additional flexible coverage options to customize your policy.
- Additional policy types
- Customizable coverage
If you prefer to do everything online and agents and phone calls don’t appeal to you, Lemonade is for you.
The company makes protecting your stuff with renters insurance completely hassle-free, stripping out all of the complications to provide you with a quick application and claims filing process.
With policies starting at only $5, their rates are hard to beat, too, if you’re looking for no-frills, basic coverage.
Lemonade is also changing the game with its payment structure.
If the end of the year rolls around and there are any excess funds from premiums, Lemonade donates them to an organization near and dear to your heart.
- Claims satisfaction
- Give-back program
- Low rates
- Simple app and website
Everyone’s favorite neighbor, State Farm, excels at offering its customers a seriously impressive user experience.
With a team of dedicated agents across the country, you can get personalized assistance in person, on the phone, or on State Farm’s useful website and app.
The company’s coverage is impressive, too, with robust policy options to protect everything in your home.
You can also benefit from several discounts and multi-policy options with State Farm.
- Local agents
- Customer satisfaction
- Multi-policy discounts
- Online quotes
Much like Liberty Mutual and State Farm, Nationwide is an excellent choice if you’re looking for a national big-name brand with a long list of products.
You can benefit from several lines of insurance and discounts, on top of getting comprehensive renters coverage.
Nationwide stands out for some of its additional coverages, too. Their policies cover water damage from pipe backups, a peril that gets left off a lot of other providers’ policies.
If you choose Nationwide, you’ll also appreciate its sleek and easy-to-use website and agent network, which make your renters insurance experience a seamless one.
- Online tools
- Additional coverage
- Full replacement cost coverage
Farmers is another popular provider with several types of insurance on offer, including some of the cheapest renters insurance in California.
Farmers’ policies come with the basic coverage all renters rely on, like personal property, liability, and loss of use insurance, plus additional coverage for identity theft and replacement cost protection.
Farmers also offers some of the most rewarding discounts, helping you to save more on coverage.
You can get discounts for bundling policies and having security features at home, and even get rewarded for not smoking.
You may also be able to get a discount based on your profession, depending on where you live.
- Unique discounts
- Low cost
- Additional financial products
- ID theft protection
You probably know that you’re in good hands when you buy auto insurance from Allstate, and the same is true with their renters policies.
Allstate is another company that has it all, letting you insure your home, car, business, and life all in one place.
Their renters policies offer identity theft protection and flood policies in addition to their basic property and liability coverage.
You also get the added value of local agents. Paired with Allstate’s convenient app, they make filing and tracking claims as simple as possible.
- Claims process
- Multiple policies
- Agent interaction
- Flood insurance
Military families residing in California can take advantage of the exceptional customer service and coverage offered by USAA.
The company has given military members, veterans, and their families access to tailor-made financial products for almost a century.
Like Allstate, USAA sells flood insurance along with its highly affordable standard coverage.
It also caters to military families with mobile coverage that protects your stuff during moves and in storage.
USAA’s strongest feature is its customer service. The company’s communication with clients, claims process, and online interaction have earned it the highest ratings from J.D. Power.
- Military focused
- Cheap coverage
- Flood insurance
- Customer service
A lot goes into properly researching and comparing renters insurance companies.
To choose the best renters insurance in California, we dug into the details of each provider, using the following criteria to judge each one.
- Cost of coverage: Cost is key. The companies listed above offer competitive rates to California residents, along with rewarding discounts.
- Types of coverage offered: It’s also important to factor in the type of coverage offered, including everything from basic coverage to policy endorsements.
- Reputation: You need a renters insurance company you can count on to pay out claims. To judge each company’s reputation, we used metrics like J.D. Power scores, credit ratings, and consumer reviews.
Why You Need Renters Insurance in California
No matter which part of California you call home, you should consider fitting a renters insurance policy into your budget. Here’s why:
- It may be required. While renters insurance isn’t state-mandated, there’s a good chance your landlord could require you to buy a policy.
- It’s affordable. We’ll get into specifics about prices below, but renters insurance is a cheap way to protect yourself from liability and keep your belongings safe.
- It’s versatile. Basic renters insurance policies protect you from the unexpected, giving you hundreds of thousands of dollars of protection against a wide range of perils.
Specifically, renters insurance policies come with the four forms of coverage below:
- Personal property coverage: If your belongings are victim to damage, theft, or loss from a peril covered by your policy, it will pay to replace them.
- Liability coverage: This part of the policy can pay for medical and legal fees if you’re liable for someone else’s injury or damage to their personal property.
- Medical expense coverage: Regardless of liability, medical expense coverage kicks in if you or a guest get hurt in your home.
- Additional living expense coverage: If your home gets damaged to the extent that it is unlivable, this coverage pays for your food and other housing.
How Much Is Renters Insurance in California?
On average, renters insurance costs around $15 a month, but what you actually pay for coverage is dependent on a handful of factors, some of which relate to your policy and others to your location.
Specifically, you can expect the following to determine your renters insurance rates:
- Your location: Life insurance rates look different depending on where you live. In general, residents in large cities pay higher rates for coverage.
- Property structure: The type of property you live in can shape the cost of coverage as well.
- Security measures: The renters insurance company may also determine your rates based on whether or not you have a security system in place or live near a police department or fire station.
- Coverage: The type and level of renters insurance coverage you get will also influence your rates.
- Company: Each company assesses risk and prices their policies differently, so it’s important to shop for the best rates.
- Claims history: If you’ve filed renters insurance claims in the past, it could increase the cost of coverage.
Average Cost of Renters Insurance in California
The average cost of a renters insurance policy in California is about $16 a month, or $187 a year.
That’s only a dollar higher than the national average cost of renters insurance, meaning California’s coverage is quite affordable compared to other states.
What you pay for a policy will be based on the factors listed out above, and can vary a bit depending on what city you live in.
Most and Least Expensive Cities for Renters Insurance California
The cheapest California renters insurance can be found in Sunnyvale, where policyholders pay an average $13 a month for coverage.
On the other end of the spectrum, Los Angeles residents are susceptible to the highest renters insurance rates in California.
On average, people in LA pay $22 a month for renters insurance, a figure that is still reasonable.
Is Renters Insurance in California Worth It?
Renters insurance is 100% worth it if you rent a house or apartment in California or anywhere else in the country.
Even if you don’t have a priceless art collection or heirloom jewelry, renters insurance can protect items like clothes, furniture, and electronics that you depend on daily.
It can also shield you from liability if an accident happens on your property.
If you live in California, you can get access to really cheap renters insurance, with several top-tier companies to choose from.
Start your path to protecting your stuff and buying peace of mind by comparing a few quotes today.