Travelers Insurance Review
If you’re in the market for auto insurance and/or homeowner's insurance, Travelers Insurance offers competitive pricing and a wide range of services that will likely suit your needs. The company has been in business longer than most of its competitors and also has local agents in your area if you prefer to work with a real person.
- Well Established Company
- Numerous Discounts
- IntelliDrive Usage Based Plan
- Availability of Customer Support
- Customer Satisfaction Ratings
Travelers Insurance is one of the oldest insurance companies in the U.S. In fact, way back in 1864, they were the first company to provide accident insurance.
The business has grown substantially since that time and currently offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, condo insurance, umbrella insurance, valuable item insurance, travel insurance, and even wedding insurance!
Whether you’re just curious to learn more about Travelers or are in the market for a new insurance policy, keep reading to learn more about what this company has to offer.
I’ll also provide a more in-depth overview of their most popular services: auto and homeowners insurance.
What is Travelers Insurance?
Travelers Insurance, which is officially called The Travelers Companies, Inc., was founded in 1864 by James G. Batterson. Initially offering accident, life, and property insurance, the company has expanded to provide insurance in many other areas.
For example, in 1889, they were the first insurer to offer company liability insurance (which today is called workers’ compensation). In 1919, Travelers was the first to offer aircraft liability insurance. In 1969, they were the first to offer insurance for space exploration.
Headquartered in the insurance capital of Hartford, Conn., and with a large office in St. Paul, Minn., Travelers currently employs over 30,000 people and has over 13,500 independent agents operating throughout the U.S., Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Travelers is also a financial powerhouse, ranking 106th on the 2019 Fortune 500, and posting over $30 billion in annual revenue. Here’s an interesting fact: Travelers is the only property casualty to be listed in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
What Does Travelers Insurance Offer?
If you’re looking for any type of insurance policy, Travelers probably has you covered.
- Auto Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Renters Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Boat and Yacht Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
- Valuable Item Insurance
- Wedding Insurance
Travelers Auto Insurance
Travelers car insurance policies offer all the standard features you’d expect.
For example, basic liability insurance, which is required by law to drive a car, includes bodily injury liability and property damage liability.
Here are some additional coverage options that you might want to look into depending on the type of car you drive and your budget.
Additional Car Insurance Coverage Options:
- Comprehensive coverage helps pay for your car repairs if it’s been damaged in a non-accident-related incident (like if a bison runs into it while you’re visiting Yellowstone National Park).
- Collision coverage helps cover damages to your car due to an accident with another vehicle or a rollover (after your deductible is met, that is). Keep in mind that if you want to have collision insurance, you’ll need to add comprehensive as well. If your vehicle is financed or leased, you’ll most likely need both coverages.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is available in some states and offers coverage for certain medical expenses—and even lost wages that might result from an accident.
- Medical Payments Coverage pays for the costs of certain medical expenses for and your passengers in the event of a serious accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage helps pay for your vehicle repairs and medical expenses if another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have sufficient insurance. This coverage is required in some states (e.g., Florida) where there’s a higher-than-average amount of uninsured drivers.
- Gap Insurance will reimburse you for the difference between what your car is worth at the time of a total loss and how much you owe on your auto loan.
- Rental Car Reimbursement pays for your rental car while your primary vehicle is being repaired due to a qualifying event.
- Roadside Assistance is available if you get a flat tire, run out of gas, or lock your keys in your car. Travelers offers two types of Roadside Assistance:
- Basic Roadside Assistance provides towing services within a 15-mile range along with flat tire repair and fuel delivery.
- Premier Roadside Assistance includes tow truck assistance, towing coverage up to 100 miles, trip interruption coverage, and personal property coverage up to $500,
- Premier New Car Replacement will provide a brand-new replacement for your vehicle if you total it within the first five years of ownership (i.e., if you originally purchased it new). Most other insurance companies only offer this benefit for the first two or three years of ownership.
- Responsible Driver Plan includes accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness. If you get into an accident after three years of no incidents, your rates won’t increase. What’s more, Travelers will also forgive one minor moving violation every three years.
- Ride-Sharing Coverage, which is only available in Colorado and Illinois, offers extended protection to Uber and Lyft drivers beyond what their rideshare companies might offer.
Travelers Auto Insurance Discounts
Here are some ways you can save money on your Travelers car insurance policy.
- IntelliDrive Program: is Travelers’ usage-based insurance program that offers up to 20% discount for safe drivers.
- Safe Driver Discount: offers lower rates to safe drivers.
- MultiCar Discount: offers lower per-vehicle rates to policyholders that have several vehicles on their plan.
- Multi-Policy Discount: saves you some cash if you have several different policies with Travelers (e.g., home, auto, and life insurance).
- Home Ownership Discount: provides a lower rate to homeowners.
- Continuous Insurance Discount: saves you up to 15% if you’ve been continuously insured.
- Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Discount: offers lower rates to drivers who own hybrids or EVs.
- New Car Discount: offers a discount to new car owners.
- Paid in Full Discount: can save you a few bucks each year if you pay your policy in a large lump sum (as opposed to monthly).
- Early Quote Discount: offers up to a 10% discount if you’re currently insured elsewhere and get a quote from Travelers before your current insurance expires.
- Good Student Discount: offers lower rates to students who maintain at least a “B” average.
- Student Away at School Discount: offers a lower rate if one of the members on the policy is attending school over 100 miles away from home and won’t be using the car when at school.
- Driver Training Discount: offers up to an 8% discount to young drivers that complete a safe driving course.
Travelers Home Insurance
Travelers home insurance services provide coverage for your dwelling, other structures, personal property, and loss of use.
You’ll also get personal liability coverage, which covers your legal expenses if you get sued by someone who was injured on your property.
If you’re looking for added peace of mind, there are some optional coverages that Travelers offers.
Additional Home Insurance Coverage Options:
- Special Personal Property Coverage: offers additional personal property coverage beyond what a standard policy covers.
- Contents Replacement Cost: pays you back for how much your items are worth at the time of the loss.
- Jewelry and Valuable Item Coverage: offers protection for your valuable personal items, like engagement rings, expensive artwork, or your vintage comic book collection.
- Personal Articles Floater: is available if you have very expensive items (e.g., a cache of diamonds) beyond what a standard valuable item coverage plan covers.
- Water Backup Coverage: will pay for damages that result from a sump pump or storm drain back up.
- Identity Fraud Protection: provides up to $25,000 in reimbursement for losses you experience as a result of identity fraud.
- Green Home Coverage: is recommended if your home is built from more expensive green materials.
Travelers Insurance Quotes
To sign up for an insurance quote, enter your zip code to get started. Then let the company know whether you’re already a customer or not.
Next, enter your name, address, and date of birth. After that, enter your email and phone number.
In the next step, enter the details about the vehicle(s) you want to include in your policy. Once that’s done, enter the information about the driver(s) you’d like to be covered in your policy.
You’ll then have to enter your current insurance plan’s information (if you have insurance).
That’s it! Complete those steps and voila—you’ll see your quote and have the option to get started right away. Overall, the sign-up process was easier and took less time than I’ve seen elsewhere.
Travelers appears to take security very seriously.
The company employs over 100 full-time cybersecurity professionals whose job it is to keep your account and personal data safe.
Customer support is available by calling 1-866-231-7584 from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday. On Saturday, they’re open from 8:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m., and on Sunday, phone support is available from 8:30 a.m. until 6 p.m.
You can also send them an email whenever you’d like.
Pros and Cons
- Well-established insurance company that offers a wide range of products and services
- Multitude of discounts available
- IntelliDrive usage-based auto insurance plan is pretty cool
- Customer support not available 24/7
- Home insurance customer satisfaction ratings just average, according to JD Power
Alternatives to Travelers
When it comes to home and auto insurance, there is no lack of competition. But there are some better choices that you can always comparison shop with.
Is Travelers Insurance Right for You?
If you’re in the market for auto insurance and/or a homeowner’s insurance policy, Travelers offers competitive pricing and a wide range of services that will most likely suit your needs.
The company has been in business longer than most of its competitors and also has local agents in your area if you prefer to work with a real person.
On the road to finding the best insurance plan, it pays to get quotes from a variety of providers. By refining your scope to the more established and trusted companies—like Travelers—you’re already one step ahead of the game.
Here’s to finding insurance coverage that’s right for your situation and doesn’t break the bank. Good luck!