USAA Insurance Review
USAA is an insurance and financial services company for U.S. servicemembers and veterans.
The company offers auto insurance, homeowners insurance, renters insurance, life insurance, umbrella insurance, and health, dental, and vision insurance.
There’s also a banking division that provides checking and savings accounts, certificates of deposit (CDs), credit cards, home mortgages, and auto loans.
What’s more, their investments division offers mutual funds, stocks, bonds, ETFs, IRAs, annuities, and financial planning.
Suffice it to say that USAA offers a wide range of products. This post is going to hone in on their most popular services: auto and homeowners insurance.
In This Article:
What is USAA Insurance?
USAA, which stands for the United Services Automobile Association, is an insurance and financial services company that’s headquartered in San Antonio. The company was founded in 1922 by 25 Army officers who came up with the idea to insure each other’s cars.
Today, USAA employs over 32,000 people and has over 12.8 million members who serve in the Marines, Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserves.
The company also serves veterans, those who have received an honorable discharge, and eligible family members of service members or veterans.
To be clear, you need to be either an active or former military service member (or a spouse of one) to be a customer of USAA.
Now that we’ve examined the nuts and bolts of customer qualifications, let’s take a look at USAA’s auto insurance products.
USAA Car Insurance
USAA offers numerous different auto insurance coverage.
USAA Car Insurance Products:
- Basic Liability Insurance includes bodily injury liability and property damage coverage. This is the minimum form of insurance you’ll need to be able to drive your car legally.
- Comprehensive Coverage is an optional add-on that pays for repairs to your car caused by a non-accident related incident like a flood, fire, vandalism, or hail.
- Collision Coverage is an optional add-on that pays for repairs caused by an accident or rollover.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is an optional ad-on that covers medical, funeral, or disability expenses that result from an accident.
- Extended Benefits Coverage is an optional add-on that covers disability benefits and a death benefit that may result from an accident.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage is an optional add-on that pays for your or your passengers’ medical expenses if another driver causes an accident and doesn’t have sufficient insurance.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Property Damage Coverage is an optional coverage type that pays for repairs in the event that another driver causes damage to your car and doesn’t have sufficient insurance.
If you’re looking for additional forms of coverage while on the road, USAA offers the following additional coverages:
- Rental Car Reimbursement. This coverage pays for your rental car expenses while your car is being repaired after an accident.
- Roadside Assistance. If you get stuck, get a flat tire, run out of gas, or if your battery runs out, USAA will send a tow truck to help, free of charge.
- Accident Forgiveness. If you don’t get into an accident for five years and then cause an accident, you won’t see your rates increase.
USAA Home Insurance
With a USAA homeowners insurance policy, your home will be covered for damages due to fire, burglary, vandalism, hail, and most other weather-related incidents.
You’ll also have liability coverage, which pays for most of your legal fees if you get sued by someone who was injured in your home or on your property.
Additional USAA Homeowner’s Insurance Features:
- Dwelling Coverage pays for the cost of your home repair if it is damaged by a covered incident (e.g., fire or hail).
- Personal Belongings Coverage will pay for the replacement or repair of your personal items—like your TV, refrigerator, and washer and dryer—if they’re damaged during a covered event.
- Home Sharing Coverage pays to repair damage from a qualified event—even if you’ve decided to rent out a room within your home or rent out your entire home to another family.
- Earthquake Coverage is available in some states. If you live in an area that’s prone to earthquakes, you should probably add this to your policy.
- Loss of Use can help you if your home is damaged to the extent that it’s uninhabitable; this coverage pays for any increase in living expenses that you might experience due to having to relocate and rent another dwelling.
- Personal Liability pays for legal expenses you may incur if someone gets injured on your property or in your home and decides to sue you.
- Other Structures. This coverage pays for repair costs to your external structures, like a detached garage, or that coveted storage shed in your backyard. If strong wind knocks down your fence, you might even be covered for that as well.
- Uniform Coverage will pay to replace your uniform If you’re active duty military and it’s damaged during a covered loss.
USAA Insurance App
The USAA Mobile App is one of the highest-rated insurance or financial-related apps that I’ve seen.
Account holders can download the USAA mobile app in the App Store, where the app is rated at 4.8 stars (out of 5).
Android users can download the app in the Google Play Store, where the app has earned 4.6 stars (out of 5).
First and foremost, you have to be an active-duty military member or a veteran to be eligible for USAA membership.
If you meet those criteria, you can sign up for a policy right on their website.
To sign up for car insurance, click the yellow Get a Free Quote button in the middle of your web browser.
You’ll then have to either log in with your existing account credentials or sign up for a new membership account.
USAA then verifies your eligibility based on the information you provide.
On the next page, USAA asks how you’re affiliated with the military.
If you’re eligible, USAA will then collect more information about you, including your home address, citizenship status, gender, and marital status. You’ll then have to enter your Social Security number.
On the last step, you’ll have to agree to USAA’s online legal agreement.
Once that’s done, you can continue into your account and sign up for the insurance plan that’s right for you.
USAA Insurance Discounts
If you’re looking to get the best price on your USAA homeowners’ insurance policy, you have several options.
USAA Insurance Discounts Options:
- Bundling your home and auto policies together can save you up to 10%
- Opting for a higher deductible lowers your annual or monthly premium payments
- Homeowners that have protective devices installed, like fire alarms and security equipment, might be eligible for a discount
- Policyholders that don’t make a claim for five years can get 10% off of their annual policy cost
USAA Insurance Security
USAA offers some pretty neat security features, which they discuss in their Security Center.
USAA is the first insurance company I’ve reviewed that uses biometrics technology to verify customer identities.
That said, it could be a privacy nightmare for some, while others might be stoked about it.
Either way, it’s an option that you don’t need to use, and it’s only available on their mobile app.
USAA Security Features:
- CyberCode Text: Prevents unauthorized access to your online account. In order to access your account, you’ll have to enter a unique code that will be texted to you when you want to sign in.
- Quick Login: Uses Symantec authentication and VIP technology to generate a unique PIN code that enables access to your account.
- Biometrics Authentication: Can be used for account access within the USAA mobile app. This means that they’ll be able to use fingerprint, facial, or voice recognition to ensure the right person is signing in.
USAA has a reputation for providing excellent customer support to its members. JD Power ranks it among the best for auto and homeowners insurance customer satisfaction.
If you need to contact customer support, the company offers a virtual agent on its contact us page that can probably help with basic questions.
You can also reach them by phone at 1-800-531-USAA. Keep in mind that customer phone support is not available 24/7. It is, however, most of the time you might need it.
Pros and Cons of USAA Insurance
- Best-in-class customer satisfaction and support
- Wide range of insurance, banking, and investment products
- Top-rated mobile app makes it easy to manage your accounts on-the-go
- Only available for active or retired military service members and their families
- Customer support is not available 24/7
Alternatives to USAA Insurance
USAA is unique in that it exclusively caters to active and retired military members and their families.
That said, there aren’t any true alternatives that also cater to military-related individuals.
Main Insurance Alternatives Available to All:
USAA Insurance FAQs
Is USAA Insurance Any Good?
Yes. USAA insurance is among the best rated of all insurance providers. However, you need to be in the military (or your parents or spouse need to be in the military) in order to be a member.
Is USAA Insurance Really Cheaper?
USAA might be cheaper than other insurance providers. But, in some cases, it might also be more expensive. Each insurance policy is unique and depends on a variety of factors. So, like anything else, do your due diligence before signing on the dotted line.
Who Qualifies for USAA Insurance?
To qualify for USAA insurance, you have to be either active duty military, a veteran, or a qualified spouse or child of an active duty military member or a veteran. Widows and widowers who have not remarried, as well as individuals who have received an honorable discharge, also qualify.
Is USAA Insurance Only for Veterans?
USAA is available to veterans, active duty military, and qualified spouses and children of military service members.
So, Is USAA Insurance Right for Me?
If you qualify, I definitely recommend looking into USAA insurance. Their customer service is top-notch, and the company can most likely satisfy any type of insurance need that you may have.
If you’re still on the fence about signing up, it can’t hurt to get a free quote for both auto and homeowners insurance so you can see how USAA’s bundled rates compare to the competition.
The Millennial Money team is grateful for the service of our active and retired military members who work hard to protect our freedoms.
I hope you all get the best rates and customer service on your insurance policies, whichever company you decide to sign up for. Good luck, and huge thanks for your service!
USAA insurance is among the best rated of all insurance providers. However, you need to be in the military, or your parents or spouse need to be in the military, in order to be a member.
- Great Customer Satisfaction
- Wide Range of Insurance Products
- Top Rated Mobile App
- Availability Limited to Military
- Customer Support is Not 24/7