Honey Review 2021
If you have had the pleasure of shopping online (and it’d be hard to find someone who hasn’t), you’ve probably come across a field asking you to enter a coupon code for a discount.
Everyone likes getting some money off, and many retailers understand that this can increase their sales. This is why they release different coupons and promo codes for their customers.
While you can certainly turn to Google to find these codes, many times, it can be a long process with no guarantee that they will work. And that’s where Honey – a browser extension that automatically finds you discounts and coupons – can help.
A tool that finds legit discounts, for free? You might think that there is a catch. This article will dig deep to see what Honey is, how it works, how it makes money, and, of course, whether it can actually save you cash, and if it’s worth using.
What is Honey App?
Honey is a free extension that helps you save money. The Honey app saves you money by searching for the best coupon deals available when you are shopping online.
This includes buying clothes, ordering food, or booking travels. In fact, the Honey app is compatible with over 30,000 shopping platforms in total. Honey will search for and apply coupons instantly.
The extension will also notify you if there is a price drop on any of the items in your Droplist from different online stores. Honey will also compare the items you wish to buy with all Amazon sellers and find you the best deal possible.
Honey Gold allows you to collect Gold with each purchase, which can be later redeemed as free gift cards from popular stores.
Honey also has an app available for smartphones. Honey app for iOS is available from the app store, while the Android app is only available for pre-order only.
Capital One Shopping compensates us when you sign up for Capital One Shopping using the links we provide.
How Does Honey Work?
Honey works by finding different ways for you to save money while shopping online. They believe that finding the best deals should not take time.
They have a number of different tools in their portfolio and work tirelessly to come up with new ways to save money.
The Currently Available Tools Include:
- Savings Finder. This is the main feature of Honey. All you need to do is install an extension on your browser, and it will find the best coupons available for you during the checkout process. It works with thousands of online shops, including clothing, food delivery, and travel retailers.
- Honey Gold. This is a loyalty program that can earn gift cards from Amazon or other popular online stores. To earn Honey Gold, you need to create an account and activate the program. Every time you purchase from one of the supported online shops, you will receive Honey Gold – up to 20% of your purchase. Once you’ve collected 1,000 Honey Gold, you can redeem it for a $10 gift card.
- Price History. This tool allows you to track an item’s price history so that you can base your purchasing decision on past trends. If the price dropped before, there is a good chance that it will drop again.
- Droplist. Add items to your Droplist by clicking on the honey icon at select stores. Honey will keep an eye on the price and send you an email if there is a drop. This is a great way to save money on the items you want to buy if you are willing to wait.
- Amazon Best price. This feature compares the price of your selected item from every seller. Other Honey tools that work on Amazon include a savings finder to make your experience with Amazon better and save you as much money as possible.
- Mobile App. The app is called Honey Smart Shopping Assistant. If you have iOS 9 or above, just head to the App Store and download the app. For Android users, unfortunately, the app is only available for pre-order at the moment. You can sign up now to be able to get the app as soon as it launches. Keep in mind that the mobile app works a bit differently than the browser extension. You can find more information about it on Honey’s website.
How Does Honey Make Money?
All of Honey’s tools and features are absolutely free for you to use.
Honey makes money from the special offers it promotes to its users; however, unlike some other apps, Honey doesn’t sell any of your data to third parties and only makes money from the commission they receive from online retailers.
Remember, that whenever you buy through Honey, you also receive cash back as Honey Gold.
Honey Sign Up
Honey can be downloaded as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Edge. Once completed, you will be asked to create an account with them.
This can be done the easy way by connecting with your Facebook or Google account. If you wish, you can also create an account by entering your email address and setting up a password.
Once you have installed the extension, you will notice new icons on your favorite online stores. Through these new icons, you will be able to add items to your Droplist, see the price history, and of course, apply coupon codes during the checkout process.
The mobile app works slightly differently from the browser extension. Think of the app as a shopping platform where you can find the best deals possible. Don’t be surprised seeing Honey on your credit card statements since payments go through the app.
Is Honey Safe?
Honey takes security very seriously. They use many safeguards to keep your data secure, including encryption, limited access, and advanced malware detection.
You can also set how much information you wish to share with Honey. Just keep in mind that some of the information is needed for the extension to actually work.
If you think that your personal data is not secure with Honey or you don’t feel comfortable sharing it, you can always uninstall the app. The process is very easy, and you can do it at any time.
You can also request Honey to delete your account with them, including all the data they have collected.
Honey Customer Service
Honey cares about each and every customer and goes the extra mile to provide as much information as possible. On their website, you can also find a well-written privacy section, where you can find everything there is to know on how they are collecting and handling your data.
You can find further assistance in the help section on Honey’s website. It features many answers to frequently asked questions and articles with valuable information.
Pros and Cons of Honey
Like everything else, Honey has its pros and cons, and while the list of pros far outweighs that of cons, it is important to know what to expect before opening an account.
- Easy to use application
- Saves you time and money by automatically finding the best coupons for you
- Very easy installation process
- Absolutely free to use
- You can uninstall and delete your account at any time
- Transparent data collection and privacy settings
- Cash back is redeemable as gift cards from select online shops
FAQs for Honey
Is Honey a safe app?
Honey is trusted by more than 17 million customers and do everything in their power to guarantee the safety and security of their app. Thousands of 5-star reviews can only mean that people find it safe.
What is the catch with Honey?
Honey is there to save you money in many different ways while shopping online. Unlike other apps, Honey doesn’t sell any of your data to third parties and only makes money from the commission they receive from online retailers.
Is Honey safe to use on Amazon?
Honey works great with Amazon as well as other online shops. You can even use a tool called Amazon best price. This tool allows you to find the best seller on Amazon for the item you wish to buy, and it’s safe and easy to use.
Is Honey a good extension?
Honey is one of the most popular choices when it comes to saving money on your online shopping. The extension is supported by over 30,000 merchants and trusted by millions of users. They claim to offer an average discount of 17.9% and an average yearly savings of $126. With all of that said, Honey is a good extension.
Alternatives to Honey
There are many other options that can save you money when shopping online.
One of them is Capital One Shopping (formerly Wikibuy), a browser extension and works similarly to Honey. It will attempt to find better deals for you, compare prices, and find coupons you can use.
Both extensions are free and trustworthy.
Is Honey Legit?
Honey is an excellent tool for everyone who likes shopping online. It doesn’t cost you anything and can offer you great savings. If you have any doubts about using Honey, you can always try it out and uninstall it if you decide it’s not for you.
You can also request Honey to delete your account along with any data they collected. While they do claim not to sell any of your data to third parties, if you feel uncomfortable giving access to your data, Honey might not be the best tool for you.
There are other ways to find coupons and best deals without giving access to your data to Honey – though it’s important to reiterate that it appears to be completely safe and secure.