If you decide to sell your old jewelry, you have two options; you can sell it online or offline. The offline option can give you quick cash, but it’s not always going to be the best offer you can get. If you decide to sell your jewelry online and can wait a few days for the money, then Worthy is one of the best options for you.
Worthy works as any other auction, but it is online, and anyone can sell their jewelry there. They accept jewelry such as earrings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets made of precious metals with or without precious stones. They also sell high-value watches and loose diamonds.
In this review, I will take a more in-depth look at how Worthy works, what steps you need to take to sell your jewelry with them, and its pros and cons. If you feel like an auction is not the thing for you, we also looked at the alternative options available where you can sell your jewelry online and offline.
What is Worthy?
Worthy is an online jewelry auction site. Anyone can submit to sell jewelry online, including diamond rings, gold, platinum and gemstone earrings, bracelets, necklaces, watches, and other valuable jewelry.
Worthy provides all customers with a GIA certified appraisal completely free. Once your item is submitted and appraised, it is sold on auction, so you get the best price possible, not the price based on the appraisal.
The process of selling jewelry on this online auction is straightforward and transparent. You don’t need to worry about shipping and insuring your item. Worthy will take care of that, and you only pay a fee to them once your item is sold.
Worthy is an online jewelry auction where you can sell your old jewelry and watches.
Items You Can Sell on Worthy.com:
- Earrings: They accept all earrings made of precious metals, both with and without precious stones, including studs, clusters, drops, hoops, and chandelier earrings.
- Loose Diamonds: They accept loose as well as mounted diamonds. The minimum carat for a single diamond is 0.5 carat. A lower carat is only accepted if the total diamond accent is at least 0.75 c.
- Rings: They accept all kinds of rings made of precious metals. They can be with a precious stone or without. It can be an engagement ring, eternity band, bridal set, central cluster, as well as other types of rings.
- Watches: They accept high-value watches of many brands, including Bulgari, IWC, Omega, Rolex, Cartier, Jaeger, Chopard, Patek Philippe, Zenith, and many more.
- Necklaces: They accept precious metals necklaces with precious stones and without. The most popular types include pendants, rivieras, drops, stations, chokers, and collars.
- Bracelets: They accept all bracelets that are made of precious metals with and without precious stones, including charms, cuffs, bangles, bracelet slides, links, and tennis bracelets.
With Worthy, you don’t have to pay for anything until your item is sold. If you send it to them and don’t like the value they offered, they will send it back to you free of charge.
They only deduct a fee once your item is sold. The fee is taken as a percentage depending on the value of your sold piece.
|up to $5,000||22% 18%|
|$5,001 – $15,000||15% 14%|
|$15,001 – $30,000||15% 12%|
|$30,001 – Above||14% 10%|
|Jewelry Box (3 or more items)||22% 18%|
Getting Started with Worthy
If you decide to sell a piece of jewelry with Worthy, they make it simple for you.
Steps To Selling on Worthy.com:
- Item Details: Fill in information describing your item. The process is very simple – all you need to do is choose the parameters of your piece from the list.
- Personal Information: Once you have provided the information about your jewelry, it is time to provide your personal information. This includes your name, email, and phone number. You only have to give this information once, as it will be used to create a user account for you. Next time you wish to sell something, all you have to do is log in.
- Approve or Decline Market Value Estimate: When that’s done, you will get a market value that you can accept or decline. The amount is not final since they will have to appraise your jewelry before setting the real value. It is an estimate, so you decide whether to send it to them or not.
- If Approved: If you accept their offer, they will send you a FedEx shipping package that is insured and paid for.
- Pack Your Item: You pack your item into the envelope you received and send it to Worthy. They should receive it in a few days.
- Appraisal: When the package arrives, Worthy will appraise it and give you the real value, which will be the starting price for the auction. The appraisal is done by GIA certified gemologists.
- Provide Your Minimum Sell Price: Once you have recommended the minimum price, you can start the auction. If the piece sells for more, you’ll receive the difference (minus the fees). If it sells for less or doesn’t sell, you will still receive the set minimum (again minus fees). You can also choose to set the minimum price higher than the one Worthy recommends. In this case, you lose the guaranteed minimum. If you wish, you can also set a buy it now price. If someone offers this amount, the auction is automatically finished.
- Receive Your Money: Once your item is sold, the auction closes. You can choose to receive the money through PayPal, bank transfer, or check. A PayPal transfer should not take more than 24 hours, while a check or bank transfer might take a few days of waiting.
Worthy offers a lot of promotions on its website, which can be found on the Promotions page. Here, you can also see all past promotions.
They have many competitions that can give you a chance to win Amazon gift cards, getaways, free jewelry, financial consultations, and other prizes.
They also have limited time offers on their fees, where they can go down from 22% to 18% and even lower for more valuable pieces of jewelry.
They also offer a free fitness program for women after divorce. All you have to do is sign up for their newsletter.
Worthy pays a lot of attention to security. This includes every process from the entry of your personal data on their website, to the shipping and storage of valuables.
All items are shipped to Worthy with FedEx, and packages are insured.
Once the jewelry reaches Worthy premises, it is stored in a secure vault and can only be accessed by trusted experts. All the items in Worthy’s possession are fully insured throughout the process.
Worthy has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, which means that they are a financially strong and trustworthy company.
Worthy is known for its outstanding customer support. From the moment you start filling out the online form, you can get help with any issue you might have.
Once your form is submitted, you will be contacted by a member of their team, and communication will remain consistent until your item is sold and the payment is completed. They can contact you over chat, email, and phone.
You can also contact their support team by clicking the letter symbol on the website or by calling them over the phone.
On their website, they also feature an extensive FAQ section, where you can find a lot of valuable information. Their blog is filled with topics about jewelry, finance, and other interesting stories.
Pros and Cons of Worthy
- Good reputation, a lot of positive reviews featured in esteemed publications
- Very simple to use
- You are updated every step of the way
- The process is very fast
- You can change your mind at any time
- Free insured shipping and GIA report
- Real market value where you will sell for as much as people wish to pay
- A+ from Better Business Bureau
- It is online, so it might cause a bit of stress for some to send out an expensive item
- Only sells jewelry, not gold or silver coins
Alternatives to Worthy
Worthy is a great way to sell your jewelry. Their main advantage is that they sell your item on auction, and you get the highest bidder’s price.
There is really nothing like it on the market at the moment. There are many online sites to buy gold and jewelry that can simply buy your piece of jewelry at a fixed price.
Online gold and jewelry buyers work similarly to Worthy except for the auction part of the process. With online buyers, all you have to do is request a mailing kit from their website, send your piece of jewelry to them, wait for them to appraise it, and then receive an offer.
Once you receive an offer, you can accept it and get the money within 24 hours, or you can decline it and get your item shipped back to you. No fees, no strings attached.
Popular Alternatives to Worthy.com:
Is Worthy For You?
Worthy is a great platform for many. All you need is a bit of time and patience.
The process might take a few days, and there is quite a bit of communication involved.
Since many buyers are bidding on your item, you can be sure you’re going to get an excellent offer everything considered.
If you are not looking for the best offer on the market and just want to get cash for your jewelry as fast as possible, then Worthy might not be the best choice for you.
Worthy is a great platform for many. All you need is a bit of time and patience. The process might take a few days, with quite a bit of communication involved. Since many buyers are bidding on your piece of jewelry, you can be sure you're going to get an excellent offer everything considered.
- Solid Reputation
- Fast and Easy To Use
- Great Communication
- Free Shipping
- Expensive Items Could Make You Anxious
- Jewelry Only